Inspection 2010-06-05

Noah and I went out to check the hive today after the split on Thursday.  The new frame 7 was stripped of much of its foundation and there were rectangles of partially built comb falling off and some on the floor of the hive.  I’m interested in the idea of letting the bees build their own comb without foundation so I’m not going to replace this frame.  We’ll see what happens with the bits that are left.

This week I stumbled across this video on a beekeeping Trappist monk done by Virgina Currents:

It looks like his frames don’t have foundation on them, but perhaps there are wires.  Interesting.

Back to the inspection.  We found the queen on the outside of frame 2.

When I opened the hive, a carpenter bee fell in.  It was surrounded by bees immediately.  I fished it out and one bee stuck with it for quite some time before it got away.

I saw and killed two hive beetles in the top brood box.  I’ve only got 5 frames up there now and the box is otherwise empty.  I guess it’s hard to defend all that open space from the beetles.

Pictures here:

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.